[Samba] Adding XP to a samba domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 29 22:27:05 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Conlan Adams wrote:

> Bare with me please  :-)
>
> I know this question has probably been asked before but a quick overview of
> the archives didn't help me out.
>
> Couple of parts
>
> 1.  Can a samba domain be established that doesn't require registry hacks on
> an XP machine to add the XP machine?

Yes. Use Samba-3.0.x. Can not be done with Samba-2.2.x.

> 2.  What would a VERY basic smb.conf file look like that creates a samba
> domain for W2K and XP machines?

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MIDEARTH
        server string = Samba3
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        smb ports = 139 445
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null
%u
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 35
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes

Is that basic enough?

> 3.  Does anyone remember my name?  :-)

Nope. But I trust you. :)

> I used to be a big samba lister about 2-3 years ago, but havent been around
> due to changes in jobs.

Thanks for hepling out.

> Thanks for any help I can get

Fee for service remains the same.