[Samba] Why does simple smb.conf demand password?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 25 18:10:21 GMT 2003

Rashkae its working now.

Apparently if
browseable = yes
is not set,
then you cannot use Network Neighborhood or browse with windows.
It also stops other windows clients from showing up in NN.
I didn't know the browseable option had to do with windows :-(
I set it globally but am aware that if set globally you cannot then set
browseable = no
in a share.

Also I set
encrypted passwords = yes
and used smbpasswd to add root and myself to the smbpasswd file.

All is well now - I see all shares in NN and My Computer
and can map them to a drive letter, do
dir L: and all kinds of the usual network things.

Also I can now use the Linux machine using
as a time server using
net time set
which is why I got into this in the first place.

On to setting the various master browser options now.

Thanks for your help.
Larry