[Samba] Samba 3 as a Windows 2000 ADS Domain Member

James McDonald james at jamesmcdonald.id.au
Sun Dec 21 09:51:37 GMT 2003

I have read and followed
http://samba.mirror.aarnet.edu.au/samba/docs/man/domain-member.html#ads-member
regarding setting up a samba 3 box as an ADS Domain Member.

But am unsure of how it is suppose to work in real life.

Do you still need unix groups on the samba 3 machine to map to the ADS
groups? I noticed some ldap idmap dn settings but am uncertain if this
can work off the Win2k ADS or does it require a special schema.

When I run smbclient -k //windows2000server/share from my samba 3 box it
fails until I run kinit USER at MY.REALM is this correct?

I suppose my understanding of the samba 3 ADS architecture is somewhat
limited and reading the documentation helps though perhaps assumes a lot
of givens so maybe I need to have a dialogue with some one who has 'been
there done that' in relation to setitng up a samba 3 box as a windows
2000 member server. If what I am providing is not correct please flame
me till I get it right.... I would like to learn more about Samba's
setup/configuration.

My setup is a follows

A Win2k DC Running in a VMWARE Session on a "Linux RH9 box running Samba
Version CVS 3.1.0alpha1"

my /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = JMCD.LOCAL

[realms]
 JMCD.LOCAL = {
  kdc = dc1.jmcd.local:88
  admin_server = dc1.jmcd.local:749
  default_domain = jmcd.local
 }

[domain_realm]
 .jmcd.local = JMCD.LOCAL
 jmcd.local = JMCD.LOCAL

# /etc/smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = JMCD
        realm = JMCD.LOCAL
        security = ADS
        password server = dc1.jmcd.local:389
        client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
        client lanman auth = No
        client plaintext auth = No
        local master = No
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://dc1.jmcd.local
        printing = cups

[homes]
        valid users = %S
        read only = No