[Samba] Upgrade from 2.2.8a to 3.0.1 issues

Jason Nugent jnugent at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 18 01:20:32 GMT 2003

Greetings,

Yesterday, I attempted to migrate my existing samba file server, running
2.2.8a on Linux (2.4.23), which provides file sharing services to a Windows
NT domain with approximately 150 users.  It has been working well for over
a year now, and other upgrades have gone off without a hitch.   The samba
server connects to a windows NT PDC.  The relevent snip from my smb.conf
file is:

[global]
         workgroup = HYDRA
         netbios name = FILESERVER
         server string = Hydra Samba File Server
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         dns proxy = No
         wins server = 10.1.2.20
         hosts allow = 10.
         security = domain
         password server = *
         browseable = No

With 2.2.8a (and previous versions), I was able to start smbd and nmbd and use:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -r godzilla -U root%password -j HYDRA

Which informs me that I have joined the HYDRA domain and my users are then
able to authenticate via the Windows NT PDC.

After the upgrade to 3.0.1, which uses the  same smb.conf file, I now use
the "net join" command:

net join -U root%password

which also tells me that I've joined the HYDRA domain, but users are unable
to authenticate. With no -j flag, I receive no error.  With -j 2 enabled, I
receive the following error message:

[2003/12/16 20:23:57, 1] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(181)
   ads_connect: Connection refused

If I force RPC connection types with "net rpc join", I receive:

[2003/12/16 20:25:12, 2] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(742)
   error connecting to 10.1.2.20:445 (Connection refused)

The IP address of the Windows PDC, which does password authentication, is
correct.

In both 2.2.8a and 3.0.1, Samba was built with a default call to
./configure, without any arguments.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

Jason

Jason Nugent, BSc
jnugent at ns.sympatico.ca
http://malhavoc.homeunix.com