[Samba] Help using Samba 3 under Debian Woody

Jose Antonio Cortijo Solera jacortijo at aceitunascazorla.com
Thu Dec 11 10:39:00 GMT 2003

Hi everybody,

I am new in all of this. I am trying to change an old M$ NT 4 for a Debian
server. I want to prove to my boss that Linux is valid for the company even
more than MS solutions....

after installing Samba 3 in Debian using the site http://www.backports.org ,
I tried to configure it following the tutorial of IBM
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/tutorials/samba/samba-ltr.pdf
Yes, I know it is for 2.2 version but I thought it should work.

Anyway, after restart the samba service, I try to join to the new domain
using the user root and I get an error doing it. It says that it cannot find
the user.
I executed smbpassd -a root and smbpasswd -e root but I obtained the same
results.

Coul someone give me any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my english

Jose

P.S: my smb.conf is the following:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.0.0.223 (10.0.0.223)
# Date: 2003/12/09 21:35:28

# Global parameters
[global]

;basic server settings
workgroup = ACAZORLA
netbios name = Debian
server string = Samba PDC running %v
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

;PDC and master browser settings
os level = 64
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes

;security and logging settings
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 2
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0

;user profiles and home directory
logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
logon drive = I:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U