[Samba] "User may Log On To These Workstations" does not work

Kristyan Osborne kris at longhill.brighton-hove.sch.uk
Thu Dec 11 00:28:18 GMT 2003

Hiya,

Have a look at the "announce as" parameter. http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#ANNOUNCEAS

Cheers

--------
Kristyan Osborne - IT Technician
Longhill High School
01273 391672/304086

	-----Original Message-----
	From: samba-bounces+kris=longhill.brighton-hove.sch.uk at lists.samba.org on behalf of Eddie
	Sent: Wed 10/12/2003 23:09
	To: samba at lists.samba.org
	Subject: [Samba] "User may Log On To These Workstations" does not work

	When I set (through UserMgr) a list of workstations onto which a specific
	user may log on to, that user can no longer access the shares of any samba
	domain member (the user can still access the shares of the Samba machine
	acting as our PDC).  After playing around and reproducing this with another
	Samba domain member, I realized that it might have to do with the fact that
	Samba appears (at least in the ServerMgr) as an NT Server and not as an NT
	workstation.  Thus, restricting the "workstations" to which a user may log
	on may prevent them from logging onto the samba "servers" altogether.

	So my questions are as follows.

	1. Is there a workaround for this problem?
	2. Is there a way to force Samba to present itself as a workstation and not
	a server (assuming that this would fix the problem)?
	3. Is this problem one that has already been identified (and is thus being
	worked on)?

	Thanks
	--
	Eddie