[Samba] Samba 3.0.0, CUPS support - "Unable to open printcap file cups for read!"

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:20:15 GMT 2003

I've restarted the daemons many times since altering my smb.conf.  My
smb.conf definitely has "load printers = yes" (see the smb.conf excerpt
I sent in my initial post for the rest of the relevant configuration
entries).

You mention that it complains that it can't find the share - I think it
makes perfect sense that Samba complains that it doesn't know about a
share called 'ps4' right after it complained that it couldn't open the
CUPS configuration. :-)  It stands to reason that it doesn't know it
exists because it can't read the config.  I'm more asking about the root
problem of why it is complaining that it was "Unable to open printcap
file cups for read!".

Thanks for the reply - it looks like I've covered all of the gotchas
that you mentioned.  Something else seems to be at work here...

-Fran