No subject

Mon Dec 1 12:27:21 GMT 2003

corresponding UNIX user (or dummy entry in the password file) for each NT
user who you want to authenticate, otherwise they can't get on unless you
have set up "guest ok =yes" and defined a username for "guest" to connect as
. This works for us,  my NT karen account gets matched to my Unix Karen
account, new files I create from the PC side get assigned the correct Unix
UID,  my login directory is shared via [HOMES] correctly, etc as long as I
don't run winbindd.

When I turn on winbindd,  the NT karen account now gets mapped to
"domainname+karen" instead of "karen", so UID's don't match,  and my home
login directory isn't being shared to my NT Karen account. Aren't the NT
user names supposed to map to the UNIX user name if one exists? We want the
features of winbind so we don't have to have a corresponding UNIX account
for each NT user,  but we want matching usernames to map automatically for
those users who DO have accounts on both sides.  It works when winbind is
not running,  why doesn't this work when I run winbind?  Is there some other
parameter I have to set to make this happen?

I hope I'm missing something here and I'm not going to have to create a user
map file for all of the users whose NT and Unix usernames already match ...

Also,
Is there a good discussion anywhere about configuration setting precedence
and which settings may supercede or conflict with others? For instance,  if
you want a share to be writable,  but only by certain users,  you might set
up "writable=yes" with "write list = user list",  when maybe what you really
should be doing is  "readonly=yes" with "write list=users".  The first may
make the share writable by everyone who successfully authenticates,  the
second may actually give the desired behavior.   A list of parameter
precedence might help clarify the interaction between related parameters.

Thanks for your help ,
 	Karen Wieprecht
Karen Wieprecht
Senior Unix Systems Administrator