No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:34:25 GMT 2003

dos filemode (S)
The default behavior in Samba is to provide UNIX-like behavor where only the
owner of a file/directory is able to change the permissions on it. However,
this behavior is often confusing to DOS/Windows users. Enabling this
parameter allows a user who has write access to the file (by whatever means)
to modify the permissions on it. Note that a user belonging to the group
owning the file will not be allowed to change permissions if the group is
only granted read access. Ownership of the file/directory is not changed,
only the permissions are modified.

Hope this helps,
Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Demou [mailto:ndemou at enlogic.gr]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 12:46 PM
To: samba List
Cc: Pavlos Parissis
Subject: Archive bit handling in samba (is it a myth?)

Hi,

OK I'm a newbie here but I've read the manuals several times and have done a
lot of testing. Didn't find it, hope one of you could help.

Samba is supposed to preserve the DOS/Windows archive bit in owner X flag.
And that is true but only as far as the owner of the files or the root is
loged in a share. You may think that this is normal but the side-efect of
this behaviour is not good at all:
The archive bit can not be corectly set/reset by samba in shares that have
BOTH following characteristics:
    a) more than one users are allowed to log on and those users may write
on the same files.
    b) they don't make use of the "force user" setting (for security
reasons)

I hope I'm wrong and somebody knows of a way to make samba handle the
Archive Bit corectly or else I will have to change a well established and
heavily customized backup procedure... (snif!)

Nick Demou