[Samba] Importing all users from /etc/shadow automatically (addtosmbpass not found)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 16:08:25 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, [ISO-8859-2] Éliás Tamás wrote:

> Hy all! I'm new to this group, I welcome everyone.
>
> OS: Debian Woody 3.0, kernel 2.4.20-grsecurity
> Samba: 2.2.8a, compiled from source
> State: Samba up, and running
> Problem: I've got hundreads of unix users, and I don't want to import them one
> by one using smbpasswd. I've got a book from O'reilly wich is told to be the
> official. It says, this thing can be done by using the 'addtosmbpass' awk
> script. But I haven't got such. Not if I use debian's apt-get to install samba,
> nor when I install it from source.
>
> Does anyone know such utility or some "hidden" parameters for smbpasswd to
> import all users from the shadow file, with their passwords?

It is not possible to convert Unix crypt passwords to Microsoft DES/MD4
hashed passwords. There is no tool for doing that. The best you can do is
to automate the process of adding users to the smbpasswd file, but then
all passwords still need to be set manually, one by one. The addtosmbpass
utility did only that.

You will find the old addtosmbpass script in the samba sources in:
	~samba/sources/scripts

If you decide to use it, please note that this tool had no forward
compatibility path.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra