[Samba] Re: Why would I want Active Directory (rather,how to argue against it?)

Stephen P. Villano wizard_1 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 03:07:51 GMT 2003

I agree on all counts, though I am still a lot irritated over MS LDAP being
majorally broken until recently.
The DNS auto-update is quite a selling point. AD has a lot of admin selling
points, to include Darwinian paring down of the incompetency pool of admins
and granularity of rights with proper propagation, though parts of that are
counter-intuitive.
I'm currently working in a mixed, large domain. Things work reasonably well
and irregularities tend to be somewhat predictable. We're slowly removing
NT4 from the network in favor of NT5, errrr W2K.
For some uses I'll happily recommend Samba/Linux or Samba/*BSD. For others
(particularly large, complex networks) I'll recommend MS solutions. In our
university environment I'd go with deploying a Samba server authenticating
off of the domain for a small/mid department only, never for the entire
domain. Sorry, I'd not go with it yet for most of the hospital network
either, as much as I'd love to...
Ad just has too many points in its favor to ignore or refuse when upgrading
is reasonable. The only reason I can justify not even partially deploying AD
is in a heavily cost constrained NT4/9X environment.
As for XP... They can place that up their BDC, it's not THAT great and
small/mid businesses are stuck with the higher costing professional version
(I have a *LOT* of experience with small/mid business solutions, cost is a
primary factor as it comes out of the approving party's pocket directly)!