[Samba] Samba and IBM directory server 5.1 attributes problems

Christian Nabski christian.nabski at emd.be
Thu Apr 17 17:22:24 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am wondering how people got around the fact that IBM directory server
5.1 (ids5.1) already has the attribute pwdmustchange and the samba schema
also needs it ?
The problem is that they have a different syntax. Ids 5.1 attribute
pwdmustchange is boolean while Samba needs an integer.
These attributes have a different oid but the same name.
btw : Ids was formerly called ibm secureway.

I am trying to get samba to work with ids 5.1 but I am stuck with the
adding of users.
"smbpasswd -w <admin dn's password>" has been succesful.
Now when I try to add users with :
"smbpasswd -a testuser1"
I get :
LDAP search "(&(uid=testuser1)(objectclass=sambaAccount))" returned 0
entries.
failed to modify user with uid = testuser1 with: Invalid syntax
Failed to add entry for user testuser1.
Failed to modify password entry for user testuser1

Some other things besides this :
Am I correct here ?
- users need to present on :
1) in the ldap directory with posix + samba objectclass
2) /etc/passwd
And the password needs to be synced between those 2
- if using nss_ldap and pam_ldap user need to be present :
1) in the ldap directory with posix + samba objectclass

Kind regards,

Christian