[Samba] driver download problem - win 98 + cups

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Apr 17 12:35:49 GMT 2003

David Morel wrote:

> On Thursday 17 April 2003 13:34, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
>>

>>>Wed Apr 16 12:04:25 GMT 2003
>>>
>>>I'm having trouble with driver downloads to Win98 clients from a Cups
>>>server/
>>>
>>>red hat 8.0 (2.4.18-26.8.0)
>>>cups-1.1.18
>>>samba 2.2.8
>>>netatalk-1.6.1
>>>
>>>I have windows clients successfully installing and printing to printers
>>>over samba and macs over netatalk.  I'm using the stock Adobe drivers.
>>>Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients successfully grab drivers off of the
>>>print$ share without a glitch.  But Windows 98 gets stuck partway.
>>
>>My best guess is that you should try again with a printer name equal or
>>less than 8 characters....
>>
>>Unforch, I don't have a Win 98 system around, but someone from the Samba
>>Team will let me play with his for a while soon.
>>
>>While you're at it -- could you please try with an "8.3" filename too,
>>please?
>>

>>>After it makes progress pulling the Adobe files off, it gets stuck on
>>>the actuall ppd for the printer.
>>
>>[....]
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Kurt
>

> Might be that bug in cupsaddsmb.
>
> http://bugs.samba.org/cgi-bin/samba-bugs/incoming?id=25090;expression=cupsaddsmb;user=guest

Thanks for the hint... But wouldn't *that* bug (which is fixed in recent
versions of cupsaddsmb) lead to a message at the end of cupsaddsmb, saying
"status UNSUCCESSFUL"?

My understanding was that cupsaddsmb completed successfully but that
the actual driver download to Win9x clients didn't complete thereafter...

Cheers,
Kurt