[Samba] Implementation of W2K Group Policies from a Linux Server

Coreix Systems - Unix - Linux Development & Internetworking Engineers lists at coreixsystems.com.au
Thu Apr 17 08:15:32 GMT 2003

I have resent this to the lists as the attachments were too big for the list.
So here it is without attachments.

Firstly i'll answer your questions:,

{
{Is this possible currently with Linux/Samba? As weve found little
{info on this...

Yes, It is possible to make samba perform "like" a Win2K machine as a PDC on the
network.
goto http://www.samba.org and i have attached some files for your reading.
I have over 3000 Samba PDC's running and i rarely hear from their owners.

{If so, are there Graphical Management Tools for the User/Groups
{and Group Policies? As we envisage the possibility of relatively
{inexperienced ppl having to at times perform simple administration
{tasks...

There are two ways to do this, i can be done with a package that comes with the
samba
package and in enabled in inetd.conf, This is called "SWAT" it's a web based GUI
Interface,
Specifically aimed at you M$ / Newbie's to Linux / UNIX. 'No pun intended'
You can also us a tool to configure many applications, adduser etc etc, and
perform general admin
tasks on the Linux server call "webmin" And this can be found at:
http://www.webmin.com/

{What sort of minimum specs are we talking, for a machine to run
{this service? (we will also be running a Linux Gateway/Firewall on a
{separate box)...
{

This is a bit like a windows server spec, It all depends on what your going to
be doing with it
and how much use it's going to get, Considering it's probably going to be a IT
Business, And it's going to be busy, I would make it as good a machine as your
wallet can afford, EG.,

MSI, Intel MotherBD
Intel 2G CPU
512 - 1 GB RAM
Intel Pro 100 NIC
1 x 10 GB HDD For OS Only
1 x 120GB HDD For Storage, or more depending on your needs, you can always add
another one later...

As to your gateway machine, I would assume it's going to be a T1, ISDN, ADSL
Connection.?
This machine can be just about anything down to a 1G PIII with 128Mb RAM.
I would recommend you to only run a  Shell Machine "No X Windows" on the
gateway, and you spend some time
on firewalling the LAN correctly with iptables.

I would also recommend you to look at FreeBSD as a Operating System
http://www.freebsd.org This is more a UNIX like OS than Linux, and can be
quickly and easily configured with very little hassle.

But if you stuck on RedHat, Then use that.

I can provide you as much on-line support as you give me questions, Just ensure
your questions are detail
the "Whole Picture" and that will keep the to'ing and fro'ing quantity down a
bit.

Ps: Were abouts are you in Good old AUSTRALIA..!?

Regards,

Craig R. Marshall
B.E (Hons), M.Eng.Sc., CCNA
Senior Software, IP Telecommunications
& Terrestrial Systems Engineer.
Coreix Systems Australia
mailto:craigrm at coreixsystems.com.au
http://www.coreixsystems.com

==================
Disclaimer: No guarantee is made that this email is free of computer viruses or
other defects.
We suggest that any attachments be scanned using appropriate virus detection
software before use.
We will accept no liability for any loss or damage, which may result directly or
indirectly from
opening or using any such attachment. This e-mail is confidential. If you
received this in error,
please notify the author by replying to this e-mail or advise us by telephone on
(+618) 9490 6698.

Privacy Policy: Coreix Systems is committed to protecting your privacy. If at
any time you choose
not to receive information from us, or you wish to amend your personal
information, please notify
Coreix Systems directly on (+618) 9490 6698, email
mailto:privacy at coreixsystems.com.au or by post
to: Coreix Systems : PO Box 252, Maddington, Perth - Western Australia,
AUSTRALIA 6989. Thank you.