[Samba] Re: PDC with roaming profiels

Barry Hunter Priest hunter at vet.purdue.edu
Wed Apr 16 02:32:48 GMT 2003

I also had this problem:  First a little about it's cause, and then my
solution.

In my case my users were going to foreign language websites (primarily
chinese and portuguese) that were leaving temp files that were
undeletable.  The file names on the temp files had either too many odd
characters or were too long, never found out for sure.  These files
ended up in two places. one was Documents and
Settings\users-name\application data\Microsoft\office\recent files (if
they opened a word document from the web site);  the other was
Documents and Settings\users-name\local settings\...\(directory for temp
IE files, [sorry doing this from memory]).  In both cases the files were
undeletable even as administrator from gui, cmd line, even safe mode.

    HOWEVER if you mount the administrative share of the drive
(\\machinename\c$) on a linux box you can delete it there.  The key to
preventing was applying the registry settings on the machines
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DeleteRoamingCache to 1. (check out
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/tips/regtweak.asp)
This somehow hard deleted everything when the users logged out
preventing the problem from occuring.

-Barry