[Samba] Samba on MacOSX and printing

maraqas maraqas at libero.it
Fri Apr 11 06:57:43 GMT 2003

Hi all,
    an iBook running Mac OS X 10.2 recently joined my little network, so
i did configure it for using a Windows shared printer (HP Officejet G55),
naturally through SMB protocol. I used CUPS for setting it up. Now, the
problem: if i try to print from the iBook, the printer takes about 10
minutes
for throwing out each page and the document seems to be continuously spooled
up to windows. This is what i mean: when you send a job from iBook, in the
Win spooler you see something like this

Then both the spooled size and the to-be-spooled size increase slowly (very
slowly!!)
and after a couple of minutes you see e.g.

 ... Some additional info:

Windows PC:

OS: win2k pro
CPU: 1,3 GHz AMD Athlon
RAM: 512 MB
Printer is connected via USB and works perfectly from Win2K

MacOSX:

CPU: G3 800 MHz
RAM: 384 MB
Printer works great when directly connected to the iBook
Don't know which version of Samba running on it (how can i get this
information?)

Really can't imagine the cause of this problem. Has anyone experienced
something
analogous?

Thank you

Marco