[Samba] Samba PDC

Don Zajic donald.zajic at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 01:40:54 GMT 2003

Wouter, in the general section I have this entry:

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

Below that, I have my "profiles" entry:

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

I have taken this right out of the example smb.conf provided with the
samba distribution.  I have been using this setup without any problems
for quite some time (a number of years).

You will experience long log on/off periods if the profiles become
large.  My daughter had spend one evening ripping music (over 30 CDs) to
her local profile.  It took over an hour to log her off the computer.
Ended up with over 1Gig of traffic on my network.

Hope this helps.

Don Zajic