[Samba] Detecting Samba server from Windows?

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Mon Apr 7 19:23:07 GMT 2003

Hi Jordan Russell,

you wrote:

> I'm curious to know how I can programmatically differentiate between
> a Samba share and a Windows NT share from a Windows program. For
both,
> GetVolumeInformation() claims the file system is "NTFS". This isn't
> very helpful. I need to be able to tell the two apart because "real"
> NTFS supports various things Samba's "simulated" NTFS doesn't, such
as
> 100-nanasecond time resolution and all file attributes.
>
> Is it possible? It seems like this would be a common question, but
> extensive searching turned up nothing...

read the docs:

fstype (S)
This parameter allows the administrator to configure the string that
specifies the type of filesystem a share is using that is reported by
smbd(8) when a client queries the filesystem type for a share. The
default type is NTFS for compatibility with Windows NT but this can be
changed to other strings such as Samba or FAT if required.
Default: fstype = NTFS
Example: fstype = Samba

der tom