[Samba] Network logon & slow connection issues

Jim Rendant jrendant at attbi.com
Fri Apr 4 00:33:38 GMT 2003

Hi:

I am running Samba 2.5 because SCO's skunkware version of 2.6 just would not
run. I am running SCO OpenServer 5.04, which I wish there was a smbclient so
that I could perform more adequate server side testing.

I am currently faced with three issues which I have not found solutions too.

1. I the log.user name I have found the users do connect to the server but
the log is full of the following message which applies to all users of this
workgroup.

"[2003/02/28 10:52:51, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(252)
  tomc (192.168.1.16) couldn't find service netlogon"

The Samba server is setup to be the PDC for the workgroup and authenticates
users. The clients are Windows98 second edition machines.

2. It appears that while the client is able to login onto the Samba server I
still get
"[2003/03/03 08:48:00, 0] smbd/password.c:server_cryptkey(1054)
  password server not available"

The samba server is configure to verify users to the domain. The password in
the UNIX and Windows environment have been configured to be the same. The
users have been added to the SMB configuration using S.W.A.T.

3. I have a user that it can take 20-25 minutes to move a 1.5 MB file. I
have researched this and I tested the server using the techniques outlined
in the first edition of the Using SAMBA server from O'Reily books. The only
test I can't perform are the smbclient tests on the server. I also believe
that some of the results are incorrect due to newer options for example
"nmblookup -B" does not return anything.

This is a small network consisting of 8 PC's. I have not implemented DNS
since there really is no need for it yet. All the PC's have an identical
host table in the windows directory and the machine in question also has a
LMHOSTS file.

Once a file has started to transfer I will see very poor performance and I
think the following may be the cause, but having a solution to the problem
is mystifying.
"[2003/03/17 16:05:20, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
  read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer"

This machine also, when using FTP is very bursty. Turning "HASH ON" I notice
a burst of 4 hashes then a pause. According to Microsoft 1 hash represents
2048 bytes. Later in the same transfer I might only get 1-2 hashes then a
pause.

On this machine I am tempted to remove TCP/IP and the all the adapters and
start fresh. Since this is a managers PC, and AOL (ick) is on there I want
this to be the last resort.

If anyone has any clues please let me know what or where to start more
debugging.

Thanks MUCH in advance.

Jim Rendant