[Samba] smbclient 2.2.8 gives NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Oliver Thieke oliver.devnull at gmx.net
Wed Apr 2 19:50:02 GMT 2003

Hi out there,

I'm facing a problem which drives me nearly nuts...

On Solaris 2.6 today I upgraded SAMBA from 2.0.7
to the fresh 2.2.8 from Sunfreeware.  Everything
works fine - besides the smbclient.

I used to use smbclient by some PERL-scripts
to transfer huge crowds of files from SUN to some
Windblows-boxes. With 2.0.7 everything worked
fine for 18 months...

As long as I connect to shares using a local
windows user account everything works like it
did before - without any hassles.
For example (7.7.7.7 is a win2k-server):

    smbclient //7.7.7.7/myshare mypass -U myuse -c "cd mydir; dir"

succeeds as it did before...

Now some Windows-Boxes changed and I MUST connect
to some share where the user account is provided
by a Windoze domain (ADS).
In this case - according to what I learned from our
Win-Admin - the logon name must have the form:

    domain\user

I wrote a small shell script - and it succeeds.
The sample-code (6.6.6.6 is a win2k-server):

    #!/bin/ksh
    WSHARE="//6.6.6.6/myshare"
    WUSER=MYDOMAIN\\domuser
    WPASS=mepass
    $WRDIR=me2dir
    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient $WSHARE $WPASS -U $WUSER -d 2 -c "cd
$WRDIR; dir"

And now the really strange part: when I issue the SAME command
(parameters) from a PERL script, from the plain command line or
even from within the same script with a slightly different syntax

   /$PATH2BIN/smbclient $WSHARE $WPASS -U MYDOMAIN\domuser -d 2 -c "cd
$WRDIR; dir"

I ALWAYS get:

     Unknown parameter encountered: "shared mem size"
     Ignoring unknown parameter "shared mem size"
     added interface ip=6.6.6.6 bcast=6.6.6.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
     session request to 6.6.6.6 failed (Called name not present)
     session request to 6 failed (Called name not present)
--> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE  <--

The first 5 lines appear also when the script executes succesfully.
I tried the -A switch of smbclient, providing it with an appropriate
file - I get again "NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".

I'm sure it is not an escape character thing, since three different
approaches (oerl, comand line shell, different syntax in script)
failed.  And I played around with different escape sequences
- without any success.

Unfortunately there is no way to fallback to a plain local user
account (some win-admin-issues)...

I searched the Mailing-Lists archives - but I found only cases
not applying to the above (some logon things - but the logon
itself Ois K - in one case smbclient acts as expected and can
logon succesfully).

So now I'm kind of stuck... Do you have any pointers ?

Thanx for your help in advance

Greetings from berlin

Oliver