[Samba] /var/spool/samba full of print jobs

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Apr 2 12:32:10 GMT 2003

Bill Dossett bd at emtex.com wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Wed Apr 2 11:47:54 GMT 2003
>

> Hi,
>
> madly looking for an answer to this but haven't
> found it in the smb.conf man pages yet...
>
> I'm using samba for my print server. I use
> printing = cups with samba.
>
> Currently it looks like all print jobs
> are being retained in /var/spool/samba and
> it has just filled my var fs :-(  and no
> one can print.  I can't seem to find
> any parameters associated with pruning
> the jobs, or how long they should be retained
> if at all??  Am I looking for the wrong keywords
> retain /var/spool/samba?  Sorry, I've got users
> yelling at me cos they can't print and it makes
> searching very difficult, can anyone help me
> out here urgently?

Can you please post the output of these two commands:

   grep -v "^$" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep -v "^#"

   grep -v "^$" /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "^;"

Check your settings for "MaxJobs", "MaxJobsPerPrinter",
"MaxJobsPerUser", "PreserveJobHistory", "PreserveJobFiles"
and "AutoPurge" in cupsd.conf.

Is Samba linked against libcups? Check for it:

   "ldd `which smbd` | grep libcups"

If it is, and if you have "printing = cups", then no manually
set "print command" will be honored by Samba (see "man smb.conf")
[If you insist to use manually set print commands all over, use
"printing = sysv" in smb.conf...]

Also, it would help everybody trying to help you getting a clearer
picture quickly, if you statet which OS you use and which versions
of Samba and CUPS....

> Thanks
>
> Bill

Cheers,