[Samba] Samba, email, LDAP and password integration and management

Markus Schabel markus.schabel at tgm.ac.at
Tue Apr 1 16:16:39 GMT 2003

Brian Johnson wrote:
> I set up a test server about a year ago to try this and gave up since it didn't seem
> that the processes were quite yet in place to do it ..
>
> I am evaluating the potential for Samba and Linux accounts (including postfix email
> accounts) to share the same passwords and have a process in place to encourage users
> to change their passwords and try to prevent esay to crack passwords
>
> Could someone please confirm whether they have such a system working and how
> difficult it was to set up?
>
> When I looked at it before, it seemed that although Samba could use LDAP, it used a
> different schema from the standard system accounts and therefore there was not
> really any sharing of password data
>
> If it matters, my server I'd like to do this on is a Redhat 7.3 system

I'm running the following services/daemons with my LDAP-users:
* postfix for address2mailbox-mapping, aliases, forwardings and
   authenticated SMTP
* courier for authenticated access to POP3 and IMAP
* apache with LDAP-authenticated .htacces
* proftpd with LDAP-users/homedirs
* samba as domain-controller and file-servers with LDAP-users
* dhcpd loads configuration from LDAP and stores leases in LDAP
* php-based addressbook
* squirrelmail webmail

currently work in progress:
* dhcpd logs leases into LDAP so that BIND or tinydns can do DNS with
   that data

I think that's all for the moment. Sure, it is *a lot of* work to get
all this running, but it's really nice when it finally works.

regards
--

Computers are like airconditioners:
   They stop working properly if you open windows.