[Samba] A question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 1 15:54:55 GMT 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Joedilson B. Azevedo wrote:

> Hi.
> I would like to know what kind of  processor and memory RAM I need to
> run the SAMBA for 200 people.

With samba you will be runninf more than 200 instances of smbd. Your
memory requirement (min) will be:
	200 x approx. 0.5 MB per process = 100 MB
	System requirements (for Linux approx 100 MB if X is running)

So you suggested minimum is NOT less than 256 MB. A Single CPU can manage
200 users. The key questions are:

1. What work load will your MS Windows users have? How many concurrent
writes/reads? What is the estimated Input/Output load (MB/sec)?

2. What performance levels will your heaviest user demand? Is instant
read/write behaviour esential? Will a 5 second delay be acceptable.

3. What disk subsystem bandwidth (disk I/O) will the machine provide?

It makes no sense to install a system that has 4 CPU's, with massive RAID
disk I/O, and with 4 Gigabytes memory if only one user will have a high
demand.

For 200 users you could manage the load with:
	Dual CPU (AMD MP1600+ or Intel P-III Xeon)
	1 Gigabyte memory
	3Ware IDE RAID with 3 or more IDE 7200 rpm drives

You could build such a system for under USD$3000. You would be advised to
use 1 Gigabit ethernet to an etherswitch that will act as a concentrator
for 100BaseT workstation connections.

As a general guide: More CPUs means better performance, more memory means
better performance, more disk I/O means better performance, more network
I/O menas better performance. Above all keep system sizing in perspective
and balanced.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra