[Samba] Samba with a Win9x network and RoadRunner

DJ Busch djbusch at new.rr.com
Sun Sep 29 02:42:01 GMT 2002

Hi everyone...I'm at a dead stop setting up Samba, so let me jump right into
the problem:

First, the setup:  I have a RH7.3 box and a W98 laptop.  The RH box also has
a W2k Pro partition.  We have them on a 4-port 10base-T hub along with our
RoadRunner cable modem.

Now on to the problem:  As most of you are already aware, RR uses DHCP to
assign IP addresses to client machines at boot time.  This seems to be
causing Samba to have problems resolving the machine names.  When I get both
machines up and running and try to connect to the laptop ("jarjar") with
"smbclient -L jarjar", I get "Connection to jarjar failed".  My first
question is this:  Is there something I have to enable in W98 to allow Samba
to make connections?

And my second question:  Can Samba decide which hostname goes to which
computer on my home network without being able to resolve it to an IP
address?  I would assume that when the machines hold master browser
elections, each is made aware of the other(s) and the IP addresses are not
necessary.

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.  Every time I go to work
I have to reboot into W2k so my wife can get at the files on my hard drives.
It's annoying.

Thanks.