[Samba] Roaming Profiles question

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Thu Sep 26 20:01:02 GMT 2002

Stacy J.Dunkle wrote:
> Can 9x/ME profiles be safely kept in the same place as NT/2K/XP
> profiles?

My experience here (running all of Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP)
is that no, they cannot.  You risk nasty problems by mixing them
together.

Furthermore, I keep roaming profiles from the various versions
separated, too.  E.g., I don't even keep Windows 2000 and XP
profiles in the same location!

You _may_ be able to get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't
recommend mixing them. If you want to experiment, use a small
number of throwaway clients, and make a backup of the profile
directory on the Samba server before anything has a chance to
get messed up. YMMV, and be careful!

Although it won't be out for a while, the 2nd edition of
Using Samba has some directions for how to configure Samba
for keeping the profiles separate, and some guidelines regarding
how to manage them safely.

Jay Ts
author, Using Samba, 2nd edition