[Samba] Samba and WinXP problem

Stacy J.Dunkle sdunkle at staceman.net
Wed Sep 25 19:27:01 GMT 2002

>>  Recently, I was given the task of setting up a Samba server where I
>> work, to accept domain logons for Win9x machines and also NT-based
>> machines, which consist of mostly XP boxes, with a couple 2K machines
>> as well. This domain would be replacing an older one, that was using a
>> very out of date Samba (from RedHat 6.1) that couldn't do
>> XP/2K at all.
>> The new one is from RedHat 7.3, which has v.2.2.3a-6 of Samba.
> [...]
>> "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
>> "techland":
>> Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,
>> using more than one username, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous
>> connections to the server or shared resource and try again."
> Not sure if you did this as well, there are two things that helped me
> against this message. 1) when asked for credentials to join the domain,
> try different combinations of plain admin username and admin username
> prefixed with "domainname\" and "xpclientsname\" (no quotes)
> 2) try changing the XP client from domain to workgroup mode, making
> sure
> that the workgroup name does not equal the domain's name, reboot as
> asked and then try again.

Just tried all that you suggested, and nothing worked.

  Interestingly, though, is that no matter what username/pass I try, I
get the exact same error, and the attempts are still not showing up on
the samba logs for the machine.

It has to be something screwy with Windows, since it's apparently not
even attempting to authenticate with the domain server. The task, is
just finding exactly what it is.

  But, OTOH, what would make XP prompt for username/pass at all, if it's
not authenticating with the domain server? If I try entering an invalid
domain, it knows, since it doesn't prompt for anything, and just tells
me the server wasn't found.

Any other ideas?

I highly appreciate the help! :-)

Stace