[Samba] smbmount question

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Sep 24 19:13:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, John Anderson wrote:

> Then I use my windows boxes (12 98 boxes, and 1 2K box) to connect to
> the
> //localservername/hq share thru samba, and that's where I get prompted
> for a password.
>
> No matter what password I put in, it's wrong. I get an error saying that
> username / password is invalid.

This isn't about smbmount at all. You have a problem with your samba
config and it's not allowing access. Check the logs, look at the docs ...
DIAGNOSTICS ... encrypted passwords ... smbpasswd file ...

> Do I have this setup totally wrong?

It might be a better solution to set up a VPN or something, but others
have done like this before.

Note: If the networks are all behind the same firewall, and you can ping
the remote IP, then you should be able to connect directly (even if you
can't browse it):

net use z: //192.168.1.123//share

/Urban