[Samba] nobody & smbpasswd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 18 09:22:00 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> rkpho at hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I find that for smbpasswd to work it is necessary to include "nobody" (or the
> > guest account) in the "valid users" list under section [Global]. This
> > requirement is not mentioned in documentations (or I've overlooked). Is this
> > absolutely necessary ?
>
> For a number of things, yes.  Many basic functions of a Samba server -
> partiulcarly as a PDC or master browser - must occour as guest.  This
> setting is really only of value on a per-share basis.

To clarify this further, when smbpasswd is invoked as a normal user, it
does not modify the smbpasswd file directly.  Instead, (and to avoid all
the issues surrounding setuid root binaries) it contacts the local samba
server on 127.0.0.1.

The remote 'change password' call is invoked by logging into the server
as guest - allowing expired passwords etc to be changed.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net