[Samba] vorkomg on vmware virtual machine

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Sep 17 18:15:01 GMT 2002

We have been running our production Samba server on VMWare GXS server for
just about a year now.  First on version one, now on version two (upgrade
performed a few weeks ago).

The original poster does not say whether they are using VMWare workstation,
or VMWare GSX server.  For testing purposes, though, I do not see any
problem with running it on VMWare workstation, over the higher end GSX
server product.

Our parent O/S is Linux, while "cferent"'s O/S is Windows 2000.  I do not
know if that could be a factor or not.  The things that pop to mind to
check are:
- make sure you have no limitations on the parent O/S (firewall issues and
the like)
- make sure your virtual machine has full networking, and is not locked
down to the parent O/S.
- Arthur's point of a unique IP address is, of course, a valid one.  You
would not need a seperate physical network interface, though.

Some of the things to look at, same as with non-vmware setup:
- do you have full networking INTO the Linux virtual machine, say with
SSH/telnet/web?  If not, that is a big problem indicator right there.
- did you accidentally install the default firewall for whatever Linux
distro you used?  (IPChains/IPTables).
- proper guest setup in the smb.conf, /etc/password, & smbpasswd file?

Long story short: Yes, it is possible to run a Samba server on a virtual
machine, using VMWare.

You may want to post your smb.conf to the list, if you have verified that
there are no network access problems to the virtual machine.  Please delete
all comments & any empty entries in the file, though.

- john

--On Tuesday, September 17, 2002 7:50 PM +0200 Arthur van Dorp