[Samba] Still having smbpasswd/ldap problem (mk 2)

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue Sep 17 18:02:01 GMT 2002

Using the "3.0CVS 8/29" package in debian, I see, when trying to do

smbpasswd -a dballing

(where dballing is a valid user, just not yet someone with an
objectclass of sambaAccount),

The relevant config bits are:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.XXXXXXXXXX.com/
ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=XXXXXXXXXX,dc=com"
ldap ssl = off
ldap user suffix = "ou=People,dc=XXXXXXXXXXXx,dc=com"

... and the output -D99 looks like (in part, the relevant part I think):

ldapsam_open_connection: ldap://ldap.XXXXXXXXXXX.com/
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=admin,dc=XXXXXXXXXXX,dc=com"
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching
for:[(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
ldapsam_search_one_user: Problem during the LDAP search: No such object
ldapsam_search_one_user: Query was: ,
(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching for:[uid=dballing]
ldapsam_search_one_user: Problem during the LDAP search: No such object
ldapsam_search_one_user: Query was: , uid=dballing
Adding new user
Setting entry for user: dballing
failed to modify/add user with uid = dballing (dn =
uid=dballing,ou=People,dc=XXXXXXXXXXX,dc=com) with: Already exists

so it's colliding with the user (with the suffix bit) when it goes to
ADD it, but it's not finding it when it goes searching looking for it.

Any thoughts?