[Samba] Roaming profiles

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Fri Sep 13 11:57:00 GMT 2002

In your smb.conf you have 'U%' this should be '%U' or '%u'.
'%u' is the username that the client has been assigned and I believe '%U'
is the username they requested.

At 12:24 13/09/2002 +0200, Ronald wrote:
>Iam trying to setup a samba PDC. Everything works just fine when I log in
>with the root account on one of my workstations. But when I logon with a
>normal user account I get the following message:
>
>Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
>attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
>will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this
>error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this
>problem persists, contact your network administrator.
>DETAIL - The network name cannot be found.
>
>A stripped down version of my smb.conf is like this:
>
>[homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   path = /home/U%

                          ^ here

>   browseable = yes
>   guest ok = no
>   read only = no
>   writable = yes
>   create mask = 0775
>   directory mask = 0775
>
>[netlogon]
>   comment = Network Logon Service
>   path = /home/samba/netlogon
>   guest ok = yes
>   writable = no
>   share modes = no
>
>        [profiles]
>        comment = Roaming profiles directory
>        path = /home/samba/profiles/U%

                                                     ^ and here

>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0600
>        directory mask = 0775
>
>logon home = \\%L\%U\Win-profile
>logon drive = h:
>logon script = %U.bat
>logon path = \\%L\profiles\%a\%U
>
>What am I doing wrong? I can see that samba made a profile directory in de
>users homedir, but I think it has somethink to to with read/write
>acces...Iam using windows XP (without SP1), and a debian server.
>
>Greetz Ronald.
>

>--

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net     www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.
j.s.dean at ex.ac.uk     www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.
root at deanuk.net     www.deanuk.net