[Samba] SMB: : ver 2.2x vs 3.0 vs tng (diff's)?

m-bruntel mbruntel at comcast.net
Mon Sep 9 12:31:00 GMT 2002

  OK: First, please respond to me directly, as I'm not on the
TNG
 list.

  Here's the situation:

  I will be setting up a "computer lab" for 30-40 PC's with
  various users (students).

  Here are my needs:
  1) One Touch (point) User administration
     (the simpler the better)
  2) Simplest set of LINUX SW possible
  3) NO NT PDC
  4) All clients are W2K.
  5) Want to make sure clients get backed up to central servere.
  6) Want roving profiles, so I can have users store all data
on
 server.

  Can I safely make the following statements?
  Can others please comment on the validity of these statements?

  a) SAMBA 2.4 needs WinDD to allow administration of users
     via native  NT user admin. (not sure if I really need that..
     I just NEED ONE LOCATION updating
  a1) And Samba-TNG doesnt?
  b) Samba-TNG integrates (seamlessly/natively?) with an LDAP
     database. (Is LDAP database included in TNG?
  c) Samba folks feel that Samba/LDAP is a better fit for user
admin
     than Samba/NIS.

  d) Samba-TNG and Samba 3.X are NOT the same product (duh,
I knew  that
  BUT...) What ARE the feature differences?
  d1) Functionally?
Can someone provide me with a list of features and I will make
everyone a compatibility/comparison chart?

  Can some folks from each side respond (I am on Samba general
list,
 not on TNG lists- so email me, and I will summarize to Samba
list).

  I hope I'm not TOO off topic, but I have so much to implement
anyway,
 the   simplest solution here could save me SCADS of time!

  Mitch B.

  Thanks in Advance