[Samba] Windows cant find samba server (typical question)

Pablo Fischer exilion at yifan.net
Sat Sep 7 20:57:01 GMT 2002

Hi!

Im new to the List. I have 2 computers with Linux (one of them is the
server that has the Samba Server). From Linux I CAN enter to the windows
and linux computers, but from Windows I only can see the Windows
Computers NO THE LINUX COMPUTERS.

What could be happening? I add the users with smbpasswd -a user, from
the Windows computers I add the wins server and their correct password,
a copy of my smb.conf:

[global]

   workgroup = FAMILIA
   netbios name = servidor
   server string = "Servidor Linux"
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   guest account = guest
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
   pam password change = yes
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   interfaces = 192.168.1.254/24
   remote announce = 192.168.1.255