[Samba] Probably a stupid question about smbfs and smb.conf.

Kris Kelley skunkworx at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Sep 5 16:57:01 GMT 2002

I asked:
> > Does smbmount require smb.conf?

Urban Whidmark replied:
> smb.conf is not required. I think your own test clearly shows that,
no?

Well... yes... but sometimes people have different interpretations of
"required."  I wanted to make sure there wasn't some safety net provided
by smb.conf that I was taking away by not using the file.

> > Are there ways to tweak performance of an smbfs client...

> Not sure what you are trying to optimise
> (read/write/latency/throughput).

Anything and everything, I guess.  I admit our goals aren't strictly
defined at this point.  SMB activity has proven to be a bottleneck on
our systems, though personally I suspect the Windows servers that are
hosting the shares more than anything else.  Still, we're looking to see
where all the knobs and switches are on both sides of the network cable.

I appreciate the additional input.  I'll show it to the other sysadmins
also.  Thanks!

---Kris Kelley