[Samba] using LDAP and PDC together

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Thu Sep 5 14:48:23 GMT 2002

Hello,

I am in the process of migrating to

passdb backend = ldapsam

on debian unstable with the latest 3.0pre samba package.

All users have a ldap sambaAccount object which was added by hand after
using migrationtools from padl.com. Testing auth with smbclient works
fine, however when using samba as a PDC from WinXP I can't log into the
domain as I used to when "passdb backend = smbpasswd". However adding
the machine to the domain seems to work.

I haven't dug very deep into the problem, at this point I am just
wondering if there is any known issue with using LDAP and PDC
functionalities together?

Also in the sambaAccount ldap object I noticed a mandatory "rid" field.
What does relative id mean? I populated the rid's with unix id's, is it
a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your insight, cheers,

ldm at apartia.org