[Samba] Long Group Descriptions/Samba cannot handle

Edward Mann edward at arctechnology.com
Tue Sep 3 21:57:00 GMT 2002

Groups with Long Descriptions.

This error is reproducible with samba 2.2.4 and 2.2.5.

Setup is Windows 4.0 PDC. Samba 2.2.4/5 server using ACL's and Winbind.

Config for winbind is

  winbind uid = 10000-20000
  winbind gid = 10000-20000
  winbind cache time = 10

All other options left as default.

Config for Samba.

  [global]

   workgroup = mydomain
   netbios name = storm
   server string = Titan updated server
   security = DOMAIN
   encrypt passwords = yes
   update encrypted = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   password server = *
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n  *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   inherit permissions = Yes
   preferred master = no
   local master = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   username map = /etc/samba/users.map
   log level = 5
   max log size = 50
   announce version = 7.0
   allow trusted domains = no
   admin users = mydomain\username
   dns proxy = No
   domain master = no
   bind interfaces only = yes
   interfaces = 10.251.0.38/255.255.0.0
   create mode = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U

The winbind info is in the smb.conf file, I just broke them apart here
for clarity.

Long group descriptions in windows domain are as follow.

Group Name = FTP Group
Description = This groups allows read/write access to the ftp folder on
storm ftp server.
Users = Several users. 1 to 12 sometimes.

Say I have a user named sam. I have 6-14 groups like the one above. I
can add Sam in 4 groups and things are working fine. If I add him to
another 4 to bring him up to a total of 8 he now cannot get to anything
on the samba server. So I take him out of three of the groups, restart
samba, and he now can get to things. I add in another one and things are
working fine. I get him in the last group and now he cannot get access
to services on the samba server.

Can anyone confirm that this error does exist? I was having a problem
with a Dell app and I was able to fix it by taking myself out of groups
that I really didn't need anymore. So this could be a Windows error that
we are running on, like how it reports back large group membership.

Well this is totally out of my league so I will leave it up to you pros.

Have fun and thanks for a GREAT Application.