[Samba] Slow Samba Printer initialisation, status, and printing

Michael Carmody mjcar at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 2 02:30:01 GMT 2002

OK, I have been wrestling with this for two weeks now, so somebody please
help !

We have an existing Samba Print Server, running RedHat linux, kernel
2.2.19, that runs fine, but is a P133 with 64 mb ram. So we built a new PC,
the slowest thing we could buy, a duron 1 ghz with 512 mb RAM. Old printer
server is running Samba 2.2.5,  new printer server is running samba 2.2.5,
and Slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.18. Both are using lprng as print spooler.
Old is currently a WINS server, the new is pointing  at the old smb WINS Server

File browsing and creation is quick, easy and no problems. Printing takes
nearly 30 seconds to open, and another 10 seconds to initialise, and the
print jobs take forever to come up. It is functional, but very slow. The
new print server runs rapidly with no problems, printing/initialisation and
file browsing. In the machine specific logs I get the following error
message repeated two or three times before it does actually connect:

[2002/09/02 16:16:16, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(79)
   connect_to_client: Can't resolve address for PC194-70

There is nothing in the smbd or nmbd logs, they remain empty, except for
server restarts, and then this error message appears in the nmbd log:

[2002/09/02 16:11:35, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(235)
   find_response_record: response packet id 31803 received with no matching
record.

But this only shows when server is started.

The initial browse to host and open also takes a fair while (~10secs), are
these delays normal ? Is there something I've configure wrong ?
Any all help appreciated.

checkpc produces no errors, and lprng directly from the server to the
printers takes neglible time (less than 3 secs to printer receiving data).

smb.conf follows:

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = MDU
         server string = New MDU Print Server
         security = SERVER
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         password server = pv-mdu-server1 pv-mdu-server2
         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
         preferred master = False
         local master = No
         domain master = False
         dns proxy = No
         wins server = 128.250.194.14
         printer admin = root, +ntadmin, johnm, michaelc
         printing = lprng

[Test]
         comment = Temp Files
         path = /tmp
         read only = No

[lp1]
         comment = HP5si Epi
         path = /usr/local/samba/spool
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P %p -r %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P %p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Uroot -P %p %j
         printer name = lp1

[print$]
         path = /usr/local/samba/printers
         write list = root, michaelc, johnm

[Print Room 4m+]
         comment = Print Room Laserjet 4MPlus
         path = /usr/local/samba/spool
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P %p -r %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P %p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Uroot -P %p %j
         printer name = lp4

[hp8000]
         comment = Reception Printer
         path = /usr/local/samba/spool
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P %p -r %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P %p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Uroot -P %p %j
         printer name = lp5

[Foods HP4000]
         comment = Foods HP4000
         path = /usr/local/samba/spool
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P %p -r %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P %p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Uroot -P %p %j
         printer name = lp2

[Molecular 4M+]
         comment = Molecular 4M+
         path = /usr/local/samba/spool
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P %p -r %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P %p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Uroot -P %p %j
         printer name = lp3

my printcap is as follows:

HP5siEpi | lp1 :\
         :server:\