[Samba] Enhancement of wbinfo in samba2.2.6pre2

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Sun Sep 1 05:20:01 GMT 2002

> Nir Soffer wrote:

> > > Actually, we should work to remove the need for wbinfo to
> use smb.conf
> > > at all.
> > >
> > > Why do you need this?
> >
> > I don't know why the first poster needed it, but I know I
> need such an
> > option (and writing a patch for it is on my todo list,
> really, it is!),
> > because my smb.conf is in nonstandard locations.

[snip]

> > So I understand wbinfo wants the workgroup and the
> seperator, and the
> > client code page. Where can I get it besides smb.conf, as a
> commandline
> > paramater?
>
> From winbindd.  If winbind is operating correctly, then it should not
> consult the smb.conf, except for the -A option.  The only issue reason
> these are in at all is due to some circular dependencies, and the need
> to put some authenticaion over the winbind pipe (so the
> username/password -A can be set by winbindd, but only by a
> root client).

Sorry, I'm not following, bear with me for a minute?

winbindd can tell me what the seperator is and what the workgroup is
with a simple request? I see this line:
        { WINBINDD_DOMAIN_NAME, winbindd_domain_name, "DOMAIN_NAME" },

in winbindd.c , so that presumably is the entry point for asking what
domain it's bound to, and the seperator is apparently returned with:

        { WINBINDD_INFO, winbindd_info, "INFO" }, , perhaps?

So if winbindd is running correctly, what circular dependencies are
there?

Also - what piece of information does wbinfo need for -A? I didn't find
anything it did with an lp_* function in that context.

> That's why all the lp_*() users have HACK written above them...

That I gathered :)

Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son