[Samba] Joining an NT domain using the smbpasswd command

Hewitt, Tom tom.hewitt at trbi.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 16:30:01 GMT 2002

I'm evaluating Linux (Redhat Linux 8.0), with a view to migrating from
Windows but have been having a frustrating few days trying to configure
Samba 2.2.5 via the terminal from within the Gnome GUI.

I can get Samba to work when it comes to Windows clients using the Linux box
as a file server but am having no joy when I attempt to use the smbpasswd
command to join an NT domain.
I keep receiving the message - smbpasswd:command not found.
I have rigorously followed the instructions that came with Samba regarding
it's installation and still I get this message.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this problem for me?

Many thanks,

Tom