[Samba] Samba <-> LDAP auth

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Oct 30 17:01:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 10:03, Mihail S. Dorofeev wrote:
> > The QUESTION IS : IS THERE _A_ WAY TO USE userPassword attr
dunno - it's a BAD idea

>for Samba authentication ??
> OR SYNC userPassword and ntPassword?
you can sync userPassword and ntPassword
set up pam to to change the smb password
set up samba to change the unix password
this is what i do and it works just fine.

> What i did is i ran smbpasswd, looked at the password file,  copied the string containing the encrypted password and
> inserted this value into the directory->ntPassword filed. However it didnt match :(
this can't work - the userPassword is MD5 or crypt hashed, the nt and lm
Passwords use a different hash.

> Maybe, there is a way to sync ntPassword and userPassword (taking care of different encryption scheme)?
> This would be ONLY useful if done by LDAP server means......
While it would be great for the ldapserver to just handle the update
automatically. I don't think it's a significant advantage when you only
have a few ways to change passwords.

brad

brad