[Samba] MS Access and RAID

Harry Mills harry at navaho.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 11:19:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct, Noel Kelly  wrote:
> I'll let someone with more knowledge than I get into the RAID buffer
> discussions but just wanted to make sure you had the same smb.conf on the
> two machines?  And therefore had oplocks turned off?

Yep, identical smb.conf files.

The boxes are identical in both config and hardware (Cobalt Qube 3,) Only
difference is, the new box has two ide drives with software raid, the old box
doesn't. The boxes are not standard Cobalt builds btw.

I am sure there are many people out there who come across this situation:-

The people who wrote the database application say 'it can't possibly be Access,
and we have never seen these problems before, it must be your samba server', or
' Well it works on a windows share' ;)

Refering to the posting you mentioned:

The code files, and MSAccess binary are held locally on the workstations, the
database data is held on the samba share, with oplocks off. Checked the
smb.conf, which follows the recommendations from the post below.

Then thing that is puzzling me is that if I copy the DB back to the old server,
kill samba on the new server, start samba on the old, and reboot the
workstations, it all starts working again - fast.

I suppose the next step is to rebuild the new server, as a non-raided box, and
test again!

--
Harry Mills                                        DDI:01749 812100
Educational Development Manager                    Fax:01749 812749