[Samba] smbclient error - SUCCESS - 0

Andrew R Reid andrew at cpplating.com.au
Fri Oct 25 00:46:00 GMT 2002

I use smbclient for - among other things - backing up all the windows
clients to my DLT every night.

I get errors like the following.

      65808 (  549.3 kb/s) \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TDC.OCX
      87097 (  611.9 kb/s) \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIDX.OCX
     176400 (  745.7 kb/s) \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMP.OCX
        995 (   28.6 kb/s) \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LMSCRIPT.PIF
      14390 (   93.7 kb/s) \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAXDD.VXD
SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATMUNI.SYS
(\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\)
SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXAPI.SYS
(\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\)
SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\FXPASS.SYS
(\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\)
SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDISHLP.SYS
(\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\)
SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDISWMI.SYS
(\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\)

I am using the Debian SaMBa package from Debian 3.0 (Woody).  It is
version 2.2.3a.

I've looked through the Release notes, and I can't see any reference to
the problem I'm experiencing being a bug, so I assume that I'm just not
doing it right.

The command line I'm using is

smbclient //machine_name /backup$ "password" -N -Tc
$BACKUP_DEVICE >>$BACKUP_TEMP_LOG \
2>>$BACKUP_TEMP_ERROR_LOG

The clients are a mix of Windows ME and Windows 2000 Professional
boxes.  They use the smab PDC for authentication.  I don't seem to have
any problems using the smbclient as an ftp client. (does that make
sense?)

If the only answer is to update to 2.2.6 and see how it goes, I'll do
that.  I just love the Debian package managing system a lot and don't
really want to break it :-(

Thank you for your help.

Andrew R Reid.