[Fwd: Re: [Samba] Always use the native protocol of the client -- WAS:How Samba let us down]

Uwe Lienig Uwe.Lienig at fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
Thu Oct 24 12:50:01 GMT 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Samba] Always use the native protocol of the client -- WAS:How
Samba let us down
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:48:48 +0200
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig at fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
To: Buchan Milne <bgmilne at cae.co.za>

Buchan Milne wrote:
------------------ snipped --------------

> But you have to at least sniff packets to get a password equivalent.
> Give a user root on their own box with NFS mounts, and they can do what
> they like ... without having to sniff passwords.

No, the exporting system decides, who is allowed root access. A good admin
exports nfs with 'noroot,nosuid,nosgid,nodev'. So the importing system does not
have root access to the imported nfs mount ...

> | P.P.S.  With that said, Kerberos+OpenAFS is always a nice "universal"
> network
> | filesystem as well.
> |

> With how much cost in setup?
>
> I think some people still haven't realised the following.
>
> - -Unix needs to grow on the desktop, or it will die a slow death (just
> like Netware is doing, and mainly for the same reasons).

... confirm that !!! What a mistake to make *NIX only look like a server OS ...

Uwe Lienig  | fon: (+49 351) 462 2780 | mailto:uwe.lienig at fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
            | fax: (+49 351) 462 3476 | http://www.fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
HTW Dresden | parcels: Gutzkowstr. 22 | letters: PF 12 07 01
   -FiF-    |          01069 Dresden  |          01008 Dresden