AW: [Samba] user root is not accepted anymore

rudi.labermeier at philips.com rudi.labermeier at philips.com
Tue Oct 22 14:10:01 GMT 2002

I tried it but it doesn't work.
For me it looks like a problem with PAM. Rejecting sound like "ok, you typed in the right password, but you're not allowed to login..."

We've got a second system for failover and the samba configuration-files are 100% identical - but samba-login as root works.
By the way, the smbpasswd file on the failover-system doesn't contain a entry for root, too.

So for me it looks like a problem between samba and PAM or PAM is unable to verify the login.

But more and more I get lack of ideas....

  Rudi Labermeier
  IT Administrator

  SP3D Chip Design GmbH                               Phone:  +49 8151 270-119
  Petersbrunner Str. 17                                         Fax:       +49 8151 270-200
  D-82319 Starnberg                                             mailto:rudi.labermeier at philips.com

                      Andrew Gaffney
                      <agaffney at locutu             To:  Rudi Labermeier/STN/SC/PHILIPS at EMEA1
                      s2.yi.org>                    Samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
                                                   cc:
                      22.10.02 15:08               Subject:   Re: AW: [Samba] user root is not accepted anymore

                                                   Classification:

rudi.labermeier at philips.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for me it looks not like a configuration problem.
> After a new reinstallation of samba i found the message
>
>       smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User root !
>
> in log.smbd
>
> Any more ideas?

try 'smbpasswd -a root'. Since it said that the user root didn't exist
in the smbpasswd file, try adding it back