[Samba] MS Access and Samba

Glenn Scherb gscherb at mriresearch.org
Fri Oct 18 13:33:02 GMT 2002

I develop large laboratory databases with MS Access.  All my back end
servers are Samba 2.2.4 on FreeBSD.  The key to multi-user success lies
in these configuration points:

	1.  Always run the Access database application, (Forms, code,
queries, ...) on a client workstation and have the back-end data on the
server.  The application container links to the shared tables on the
server.
	2.  Oplocks = no
	3.  Kernel Oplocks = no
	4.  Level2 Oplocks = no
	5.  Blocking Locks = yes
	6.  Locking = yes
	7.  Strict Locking = no
	8.  Share Modes = yes

Success will be improved if you follow the pessimistic locking model for
most of your data access.  This means that the edited record is always
locked.  You should do this regardless of whether you use Windows or
Samba on your back end server.  This also applies to point number 1.

HTH,

Glenn

--
Glenn Scherb