[Samba] Samba & NSS_LDAP

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Thu Oct 17 00:23:01 GMT 2002

Hi all!

A while ago I caught a discussion re Samba and LDAP SAM backend, with
OpenLDAP and nss_ldap.

It seems that the reason the smbd process keeps crashing (and thus
losing connections) has something to do with the fact that the LDAP
standard allows connections to be unilaterally closed by the directory
server, and this was causing Samba to crash.

Again - this is my hazy recollection of the thread.

I'm seeing this behavior in my setup (Samba LDAP-based PDC).  Is my
summary above (mostly) correct? Is there a fix for this?  Is it included
as part of 2.2.6 or is it a problem with OpenLDAP/nss_ldap?

We plan to do a rather large Samba install soon, and I'd like to know in
advance if I'm going to have to handle the Samba PDC account storage
differently.

Best

Diego