[Samba] Being Administrator on a Samba Domain

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Tue Oct 15 21:43:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 17:22, Aaron Cline wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am in the process of implementing a Samba Primary Domain controller
> and I have a few questions that I can't yet resolve.
>
> First off, how can I set it so that when I log in to a computer on
> the domain as my username, "ajc", that I gain Administrator rights
> to that PC?
make a unix group domadmins (or whatever)
add your user ajc to that group
use the domain admin group smb.conf parameter
domain admin group (G)

    This parameter is intended as a temporary solution to enable users
to be a member of the "Domain Admins" group when a Samba host is acting
as a PDC. A complete solution will be provided by a system for mapping
Windows NT/2000 groups onto UNIX groups. Please note that this parameter
has a somewhat confusing name. It accepts a list of usernames and of
group names in standard smb.conf notation.

    See also domain guest group, domain logons

    Default: no domain administrators

Example: domain admin group = root @wheel

> Second, in Windows 2000 Pro I almost always go into Start>Settings>Control
> Panels>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy and change some
> of the default policies.  Is there someway that when the computers
> log into the Domain that they all could gather this information from
> one file?  If so, can someone lead me in the right direction to figuring
> this out?
I don't know for sure - there was something like this for nt4 but I
don't know if it works for w2k and xp. I get around this problem by just
re-imaging the clients when i make a change to the security policies

> And third, this is a Windows question that I should probably ask
> elsewhere but so far I have not found an answer.  Suddenly my Win2k
> Pro computer has begun to boot very slowly.  If I check the event
> log I see that on any given boot, several always changing services
> will fail to load.  Does anyone know have any experience with this?
> I've tried to do the CD-Repair but that didn't help at all.
dunno - don't waste too much time figuring this out  - just reinstall.