[Samba] Runaway samba processes

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Oct 15 16:35:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:28:42 +0100 Robert Euston <robert at euston.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help!
>
> We have Samba 2.2.5 running on AIX 4.3.3. The server is a very heavy
> duty server, and has 3 main shares, which are very large.
>
> The problem is that after a few days of running, the server suddenly
> stops killing off newly spawned smbd processes. They do not die, even
> when the original smbd process is killed. They will respond to a kill
> -9, but killing off the main PID does not kill the runaway children.
> (Instead, their PPID goes to 1 )
>
> Killing off all the smbd processes with kill -9, and restarting the
> daemon fixes the problem.
>
> This really isn't acceptable. The only thing I can see in the log is
> that there is rogue machine doing connects with a bad userid/password
> pair. This is occuring in the log every second or so. The problem here
> is that we are running at a high debug level, and the log is overwritten
> within minutes due to this problem.
>
> At the moment I am running a test to see if I can reliably reproduce the
> problem by replicating the rogue login attempts on a test box. There's
> another test in the pipeline to save a log file large enough to record
> when it starts so we have more of an idea whats going on, as the logs
> written after the processes start running away aren't much help.
>
> Thoughts :
>
> It could be that samba isn't closing the socket properly. This fits, if
> the process is waiting for the socket to close, but it stays open
> (deadlocked condition?). Why this might be, I can only guess. I've
> proved that it works again on the same machine after killing off the
> runaways, so it does not appear to be an environment issue.
>
> It might be a problem with AIX and Samba under certain conditions.
>
> A Memory leak maybe?

I'm curious to see if this is in any way related to a problem we have.  Are the
ruaway processes using cpu or are they completely idle?  We have a problem with smbd
getting into a loop and consuming cpu.  We do also see processes which do not get
closed down, but it is just odd processes and I think they will kill with just a
-TERM.

Phil.