[Samba] smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Oct 11 20:20:01 GMT 2002

On 10 Oct 2002, Stas Firstov wrote:

> Hi
> I have mounted W2K share to the Linux box (RH 7.0 kernel 2.2.19-7.0.16,
> samba-2.2.5-1). Here is part of /etc/fstab:
>
> //machine/share /u/smb/machine        smbfs
> username=smbusername,workgroup=smbworkgroup,uid=675,fmask=440  0 0
>
> If I do "ls |wc" in that mounted directory, then I get different results
> every time I try to count files.
> [root at cipsftp Persons]# ls |wc
>   26926   26926  340100
> [root at cipsftp Persons]# ls |wc
>   26933   26933  340191

Known problem with win2k. It doesn't always return all the files / smbfs
isn't asking in the way win2k wants.

Please try this patch for a 2.4.19 kernel:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.19-rc1-ALL.patch.gz

If you are using NT4 I have one report of this change breaking listings vs
that, so I am interested in reports on that too.

If you use smbclient to connect can you repeat the problem then?
If it's the same problem, you should be able to.

/Urban