[Samba] FireWall Effects on Samba (Newbie)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Oct 7 11:06:01 GMT 2002

ipchains and iptables are mutually exclusive.

ipchains is older technology. iptables is supposed to be a big improvement
but I use ipchains because I know how to use it and they work for my
needs.

The biggest advantage I know about for iptables is it allows much greater
flexibility in controlling access to different ports. For example, with
iptables you can control access to a port depending on the time of day.
There is nothing in ipchains that allows that. With ipchains, you would have
to write a fancy script called by hosts.allow to get that kind of
flexibility. I would learn iptables.

Joel